OroPlatform Forums

Covering OroPlatform topics, including community updates and company announcements.

Forums Forums OroPlatform OroPlatform – Installation/Technical Issues or Problems [Error] InnoDb not sufficient enough for storing varchar(500)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jaimy 10 years ago.

Starting from March 1, 2020 the forum has been switched to the read-only mode. Please head to StackOverflow for support.

• Creator
    Topic

Jaimy
    Participant

Hi there Oro folks!

I’ve tried a new setup for both an OroCRM and Oro-platform and I encountered the following error on install:

After some googling (not sure if that’s a word), I’ve found that the default storage engine for the Mysql server 5.5.5 and above is InnoDB. And I’m running MacOSX Mavericks with php version 5.4.17 and the MySQL community server version 5.6.17. So I’ve looked up the reference for MySQL 5.5 and it states:

If you omit the ENGINE option, the default storage engine is used. The default engine is InnoDB as of MySQL 5.5.5 (MyISAM before 5.5.5).

MySQL 5.5 Reference Manual Source

Which is exactly the underlying problem. Since InnoDB storage engines only let you store a max length of 767 bytes. MYISAM on the other hand will let you store up to 1000 bytes. I’m not sure if somebody else ran into this problem but it I can only imagine that this will be seen in the near future (after releasing the first stable release and everybody starts to develop).

In order to fix this bug(?) I changed the length of the key, but I’m not sure what concequenses this will have for the platform as a whole. I changed the length of the key in ../vendor/oro/platform/src/Oro/Bundle/TranslationBundle/Entity/Translation.php. And it completed the install as usual. This is, obviously, not a real solution but a temporary fix. Since I don’t like to edit the core and the whole principal of creating a platform is being diminished.

I think this should be mentioned in the README, somewhere in the installation requirements or change the length of the key since this will be a serious problem for those who will use MySQL 5.5.5 and above. If they are not aware that InnoDB will not store the key field for the ‘oro_translation’ table for having a greater byte length than InnoDB allows you to store.

I look forward to your responds.

Kind Regards,

Jaimy Casteleijn

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dima Soroka
    Keymaster

Thanks Jaimy, we already resolved this issue and fix is included into upcoming release.

Jaimy
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply Dima! Looking forward to the next release.

Kind Regards,

Jaimy Casteleijn

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘OroPlatform – Installation/Technical Issues or Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.