OroCRM Forums

Covering OroCRM topics, including community updates and company announcements.

Forums Forums OroCRM OroCRM – Programming Questions Proper way to setup this software?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dima Soroka 7 years, 3 months ago.

Starting from March 1, 2020 the forum has been switched to the read-only mode. Please head to StackOverflow for support.

• Creator
    Topic

vincent1
    Participant

I’ve decided to use Oro Platform as a base for the ERP of my company. We’ve been planning to use Symfony, but it’s hard to resist to all the hardwork that was already done by the Oro project. However, i’m not sure on how to proceed with the setup.

The setup seems to follow a WordPress-ish way of building things, which is a terrible first impression. What’s with the web installer? Why can’t we have an initial migration and that it? So, i went ahead and made the installation on my machine. And also on staging. But this is not the ideal way of handling data.

What is the standard process that most developers use when working with Oro? Do you set it up once on your machine, then dump the database into an initial migration, and then you keep writing migrations for every Doctrine Schema Update that you need?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dima Soroka
    Keymaster

Hello Vincent

Could you please clarify what “WordPress-ish way” means?
    For installation you could use CLI and web interface following instructions in the README file or in documentation. Custom application development could be done same way you do it with Symfony, for Schema and data migrations we provide tools as well. Here are a couple of references that could be helpful for you:

vincent1
    Participant

I’m forced to run an installation script that does a bunch undocumented stuff, that’s what i mean. I want to use Oro as a framework, not a tool or a turnkey script. What is it doing? How is it doing it? Is it just setting up the tables and preloading specific data? I have no control over that.

Why can’t i do that using a migration, so i know exactly what is being created? What else the installation script does?

Dima Soroka
    Keymaster

Thanks for details, Vincent

Install script and command are running a sequence of commands that should be executed in order to initialize all parts of the application. Commands execution log could be found in app/logs folder so you can review it in details and learn what each command does. In your convenience, you can run all them yourself in order to install the application.

vincent1
    Participant

Don’t you think that this sequence should be documented somewhere instead of just telling people to reverse engineer the logs? This seemed to be a platform, aimed at developers. I care about what is being executed and i want to know what is being done, so i can replay the steps any time i want and have control over my software.

Does the installation script change any parameter? Does it change configuration files? Or are all changes kept in DB?

Dima Soroka
    Keymaster

If you are a developer and installing application with oro:install command – you will see all commands that are executed without a need to do reverse engineering. If this is a problem – please suggest what exactly you would like to see documented (maybe you have some example in mind), should be very much straight forward. Installation process doesn’t change any parameters or configuration files.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘OroCRM – Programming Questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.